Making homemade soup recipes is easier than you think. Whether you’re looking for healthy and homemade or quick and simple, there’s a soup recipe for every occasion!
1. Beet Soup with Goat Cheese and Almonds
In season through the fall, beets add a wonderful splash of color when our plates begin to lose the brilliant hues of summer. You won’t be able to taste the roasted Roma tomatoes in the final product,but their acidity will keep the beet flavor from being too sweet.
45 minutes PROCESSING:1 minute COOK TIME:30 minutes YIELD:7 cups (1.7 liters)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (8 oz / 227 g) yellow onion chunks
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 medium beets (20 oz / 568 g total), roasted, cooled, peeled, and diced
- 4 Roma (plum) tomatoes (about 18 oz / 510 g total), halved, roasted, and cooled
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups (720 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces (114 g) goat cheese, crumbled, for garnish
- 1 cup (100 g) sliced almonds, lightly toasted, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the beets, tomatoes, salt, and pepper and cook for 4 minutes, until the tomatoes have released most of their liquid.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Ladle the hot soup into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 10, then to High. Blend for 1 minute.
- Serve the soup hot. Garnish with the goat cheese and almonds.
Amount per 1 cup (240 ml) serving:
calories 220, total fat 14 g, saturated fat 3.5 g, cholesterol 5 mg, sodium 360 mg, total carbohydrate17 g, dietary fiber 5 g, sugars 9 g, protein 10 g
2. Broccoli Cheese Soup
One of the wonders of the Vitamix is the machine’s ability to take raw ingredients and transform the minto steaming hot soup. Imagine taking the pantry staples for this soup, putting them in your Vitamix,and having dinner in the time it takes to set the table! The rest of our busy lives should be so easy.And because you are making the soup yourself, you can avoid the extra fat and sodium that would likely be in a canned soup.
10 minutes PROCESSING:5 to 6 minutes YIELD:2½ cups (600 ml)
- 1 cup (240 ml) skim milk
- ½ cup (60 g) shredded Cheddar
- 1½ cups (150 g) fresh or frozen broccoli or cauliflower florets, steamed
- 1 teaspoon diced onion
- ½ cup (80 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
Place all the ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 10, then to High. Blend for5 to 6 minutes, until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.
Amount per 1 cup (240 ml) serving: calories 110, total fat 2g, saturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 5mg, sodium 250mg, total carbohydrate 13g, dietary fiber 3g, sugars 7g, protein 11g