In the late 1930s, my grandma Ruth and my papa participated in one of Bernarr Macfadden’s 265-mile hikes from Cleveland, Ohio, to Evansville, New York. These walks were sometimes called“cracked wheat derbies” because of the limited and healthy diet that the participants were fed. You don’t need to go on a long walk to appreciate this hearty cracked wheat cereal in the morning, but we suspect that this delicious dish would have been popular on Macfadden’s hikes!
15 minutes, PROCESSING:25 seconds, COOK TIME:15 to 20 minutes, YIELD:3 cups (720 g) cooked cereal
- 1 cup (180 g) whole wheat kernels
- 1½ cups (360 ml) water¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tart apple (170 g), quartered and seeded
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (72 g) raisins2 tablespoons (18 g) sunflower seeds
- Place the whole wheat kernels into the Vitamix dry grains container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 7. Grind to the desired degree of fineness (ideally a coarse texture), about 15 seconds.
- Combine the water and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Slowly add the cracked wheat to the boiling water, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring frequently,until cooked but still al dente, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, switch to the standard Vitamix container. Secure the lid and remove the lid plug. Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 4. With the machine running, drop the apple quarters through the lid plug opening (using the tamper as needed) and chop the apples, about 10 seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chopped apple, cinnamon, raisins, and sun flower seeds.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Amount per 1 cup (240 ml) serving:
calories 360, total fat 3.5g, saturated fat 0g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 210mg, total carbohydrate75g, dietary fiber 13g, sugars 25g, protein 10g