In season through the fall, beets add a wonderful splash of color when our plates begin to lose the brilliant hues of summer. You won’t be able to taste the roasted Roma tomatoes in the final product,but their acidity will keep the beet flavor from being too sweet.
45 minutes PROCESSING:1 minute COOK TIME:30 minutes YIELD:7 cups (1.7 liters)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (8 oz / 227 g) yellow onion chunks
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 medium beets (20 oz / 568 g total), roasted, cooled, peeled, and diced
- 4 Roma (plum) tomatoes (about 18 oz / 510 g total), halved, roasted, and cooled
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups (720 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces (114 g) goat cheese, crumbled, for garnish
- 1 cup (100 g) sliced almonds, lightly toasted, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the beets, tomatoes, salt, and pepper and cook for 4 minutes, until the tomatoes have released most of their liquid.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Ladle the hot soup into the Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 10, then to High. Blend for 1 minute.
- Serve the soup hot. Garnish with the goat cheese and almonds.
Amount per 1 cup (240 ml) serving:
calories 220, total fat 14 g, saturated fat 3.5 g, cholesterol 5 mg, sodium 360 mg, total carbohydrate17 g, dietary fiber 5 g, sugars 9 g, protein 10 g