These pancakes are perfect for the mornings when you want something warm but aren’t hungry for something sweet. Not only will you be able to skip the maple syrup here, but you will get a serving of vegetables too.
Preparation:15 minutes PROCESSING:35 seconds COOK TIME:45 minutes YIELD:12 pancakes
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) light olive oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (26 g) flax meal
- 2 tablespoons (5 g) fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups (480 ml) grated peeled sweet potato (about 1 medium to large sweet potato)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) grated yellow onion
- ⅓ cup (40 g) whole wheat flour, preferably homemade
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- Place the eggs, milk, olive oil, and flax meal into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 10.Blend for 20 seconds.
- Stop the machine and remove the lid. Add the thyme to the container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 4. Blend for 15 seconds.
- Combine the sweet potato, onion, flour, baking powder, salt, and curry powder in a medium bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the sweet potato mixture and stir by hand just until combined.
- Drop 2 tablespoons (30 ml) batter for each pancake onto a hot nonstick griddle. Cook until golden on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Flip, then press lightly and continue to cook until golden and cook ed through, about 8 minutes longer
Amount per pancake:
calories 80, total fat 4g, saturated fat 0.5g, cholesterol 30mg, sodium 160mg, total carbohydrate 8g, dietary fiber 2g, sugars 1g, protein 3g