These granola bars are full of grains, nuts, and fruit (both fresh and dried), and they are destined to become a staple in your household! They have terrific flavor with much less fat and sugar than many other granola bars.
PREPARATION:10 minutes PROCESSING:1 minute, 10 seconds BAKE TIME:25 minutes YIELD:12 bars
- ¼ cup (50 g) wheat berries, or ½ cup (60 g) whole wheat flour, preferably homemade
- ¼ cup (28 g) wheat germ
- ½ cup (70 g) raw almonds
- 1 cup (155 g) rolled oats
- 1 medium to large apple, cubed, or 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (210 g) unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract3 tablespoons (45 ml) honey or agave nectar
- ½ cup (60 g) dried unsweetened cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F (180 ̊C). Grease an 8-inch (20-cm) square baking pan.
- Place the wheat berries, wheat germ, almonds, and oats into the Vitamix dry grains container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 10,then to High. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Turn the machine off and pour the mixture into a bowl.
- If using an apple, place it into the standard Vitamix container and secure the lid. Select Variable 1.Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 10, then to High. Blend for 35 to 40seconds, until the fruit has the consistency of applesauce, using the tamper to press the apple into the blades.
- Add the applesauce to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Add the salt, cinnamon, vanilla, honey,and cranberries to the mixture. Mix gently by hand to combine.
- Spread the mixture into the baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then cut into bars in the pan.
Amount per bar : calories 120, total fat 4g, saturated fat 0g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 50mg, total carbohydrate 21g, dietary fiber 3g,sugars 10g, protein 3g