Many purchased vegetable juices feature tomatoes, but when you make your own, you can move purple-hued, nutrient-packed beets to center stage. (And unlike many of its bottled counterparts, this drink has no added salt.) Apples complement the beet’s natural sweetness, while the fresh Chile, chunk of fresh ginger, and garlic lend spice. The vegetable flavor of celery keeps the overall taste more savory than sweet.
15 minutes PROCESSING:2 minutes YIELD:7 servings
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 3 small/medium beets (1¼ pound / 570 g), tops intact, cut into pieces
- One ½-inch (1.3-cm) cube fresh ginger root, peeled
- 1 fresh Chile pepper
- 2 small apples, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, peeled2 celery stalks, cut into pieces
- 1 cup (240 ml) ice cubes
1. Place 1 cup (240 ml) of the water into the Vitamix container, then add the beets, ginger, chile,apples, garlic, and celery and secure the lid. Select Variable 1-Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 10, then to High. Blend for 1 minute 30 seconds, using the tamper top ress the ingredients into the blades.
2. Stop the machine and remove the lid. Add the remaining water and the ice cubes to the Containerization and secure the lid. Select Variable 1-Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable 10, then to High. Blend for 30 additional seconds.
Amount per 1 cup (240 ml) serving: calories 60, total fat 0g, saturated fat 0g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 75mg, total carbohydrate 15g,dietary fiber 4g, sugars 10g, protein 2g