What could be more exciting than cake for breakfast! True, this cake is not dripping with chocolate frosting or sprinkles, but it’s full of hearty, nutty flavor that will keep you coming back for more.
Preparation : 20 minutes PROCESSING:15 seconds BAKE TIME:35 to 45 minutes YIELD:10 servings
- 1 cup (125 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (240g) whole wheat flour, preferably homemade
- ½ cup (42g) quick-cooking oats, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt1
- ½ cups (360 ml) low-fat (1%) milk
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup firmly packed (55 g) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F (180 ̊C). Lightly coat the bottom only of an 8-inch (20-cm) round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the flours, ½ cup oats, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place the milk, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and egg into the Vitamix container in the order list ed and secure the lid. Select Variable 1. Turn the machine on and slowly increase the speed to Variable8. Blend for 15 seconds, until a smooth, creamy consistency is reached.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and fold by hand just until moistened. Spread the batter in the pan and sprinkle with the remaining oats for garnish.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then turn out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool. Once cool, cut into10 wedges before serving.
Amount per serving:
calories 230, total fat 6g, saturated fat 1g, cholesterol 20mg, sodium 290mg, total carbohydrate 38g, dietary fiber 3g, sugars 8g, protein 7g